Orthodontics for children:
The most common period for getting orthodontics for children is the ages between 11 and 15. This is the time when most of their adult teeth have erupted and it is the best time to straighten any misaligned teeth, fix overbites and crooked and crowded teeth. This not only gives them confidence but also prevents and dental issues later on due to not being able to brush and floss crooked and crowded teeth properly. The teeth can be sore for 12-24 hours after each adjustment of braces. Kids at this age are most likely to agree to get braces as a lot of their peers are also getting them at this time. The time frame of the treatment can depend upon the severity of the crowding and overbite. Another benefit of getting braces for children at an early age is that they have high metabolisms, which speeds up the treatment and reduces the discomfort.
Orthodontics for adults:
Orthodontics is no longer a treatment restricted to kids or adolescents. More and more people are getting orthodontics much later in life. In fact, 20% or more adults are now seeking to improve the look of their teeth via braces. Adults are seeking this treatment for mainly the same reason as younger people- improving their smiles and many times, functioning of their mouths.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontics:
Adults can benefit from orthodontic treatment in many ways. These include:
- Correct relapse after previous orthodontic treatment due to lack of long-term retainer wear
- Create a more comfortable bite to improve the ability to chew foods
- Creating a beautiful smile by aligning the teeth
- Prevent excessive wear on a few teeth due to a poor bite
- Reduce spaces between teeth
- Improve the ability to brush and floss, especially in the case of crowded or overlapping teeth
- Create a better or more comfortable bite and ability to chew