It is not easy to live with braces, and they can be very irritating, especially when small foods bits stuck in the wires and elastic parts. If keeping your braces clean is giving you a hard time, here are some tips that you can follow for your ease.
1. Drink plenty of water.Water can wash away most of the food debris stuck in the wires of your braces. It’s also a good habit to gargle water after eating because it removes debris more efficiently.
2. Use a soft and slim bristled brush.Slimmer bristles, as compared to regular-sized bristles, can get between the teeth easily. Don’t use hard-bristled brushes because these can damage the components of your braces and the metal plating of your wires.
3. Avoid eating hard foods.You should avoid eating foods that need a lot of chewing and biting, such as nuts, bagels, French bread, apples, carrots. However, you can transform them into softer forms to bring variety to your menu.
4. Don’t eat crisps.Try to avoid eating potato crisps and other similar junk food as they can get stuck between the arch wires of your braces. They can lead to the plaque by leaving an oily coating on your teeth’s surface.
5. Stay away from candies.All candies are bad for your teeth and braces, but soft candies are much worse for braces because they can stick to your braces and remain there until you properly brush them.
6. Handle your braces with care.If you have braces with removable elastic parts, carefully remove them before brushing and place them back when done.
7. Don’t use the teeth for biting hard or odd objects.If you are habitual of chewing or biting items like nails, pens, or even ice, now is the time to leave it, or else you can damage your braces.
If you have any questions related to the tips for braces, please feel free to call Kipling Family Dentistry at (416) 614-6633.